Updated: Nov 23, 2018
You may or may not be aware that there are numerous "ad extensions" that you can include in your Google Ads campaigns which will increase your ad's presence on the search results page. With Black Friday & Cyber Monday almost on top of us for another year, you could be making use of ad extensions for both occasions right now!
First, it's important to understand what promotion extensions are and how best to use them in your Google Ads campaigns. These extensions effectively give you an extra chance to display a particular discount or promotion you have in place. They can help to add more value to your text ads by highlighting your special offers for people that are searching for the best deals you and your competitors are currently offering.
Promotion extensions show just below the usual ad text, in an easy-to-read format that should be particularly eye-catching to people who are searching for the product or service your advertising. They can display in both desktop and mobile ads.
When you set a promo extension up you will select what occasion the deal is for. Currently the specific occasions you can choose from are as follows: Autumn Sale, Back to School, Black Friday, Carnival, Chinese New Year, Christmas, Cyber Monday, Diwali, Easter, Eid, End of Season, Epiphany, Father's Day, Halloween, Hanukkah, Holi, Independence Day, Labour Day, Mother's Day, National Day, Navratri, New Year's, Parent's Day, Passover, Ramadan, Rosh Hashanah, Single's Day, Spring Sale, St Nicholas Day, Summer Sale, Valentine's Day, Winter Sale, Women's Day. Alternatively, you can select "None". Whichever occasion you choose will appear in bold text next to your promo text. Please note; different occasions are only eligible to show between certain date ranges, regardless of the start & end dates you provide for your promo extension.
Setting up your promo extensions is a very straightforward process:
1) Sign in to Google Campaign Manager
2) Select "Ads & extensions" from the menu on the left
3) Select "Extensions" at the top
4) Click the circular blue "+" button
5) Select "Promotion extension" (usually this is at the bottom of the list)
6) Choose whether you want your promo extension to apply to your entire account, or a specific campaign or ad group
7) Select the occasion for your promo extension
8) Choose the correct language and currency for your promotion
9) Select either a percentage off or monetary discount as your promotion type
10) Enter the brand, product or service's name
11) Enter the Final URL that the extension should click through to
12) Choose the relevant option from the "Promotion details" dropdown menu
13) Specify any requirements for your promotion, for example a discount code
14) Enter optional start & end dates for your promo extension.
Once you've clicked "Save", you're all done! Your ad extension may say "under review" for a short period of time, and will then go live to your Google Ads audience.
We are here to help you make the most of Google Ads & PPC advertising in general. If you would like to discuss your PPC campaigns, please use the chat function on the website or give us a call now - we're always happy to help!